The Bishop's Palace in Cathedral Square was magnificently conserved in 2010/11 and opened as a museum in June 2011, displaying the treasures of Georgian and Victorian Waterford. The ground and first floors are laid out as a historic house with some of the finest displays in Ireland of 18th century glass, silver, furniture and paintings. The oldest piece of Waterford Glass in the world is a highlight. The top floor continues the story up to 1970 ending with the Hucklebuck shoes.
The present Palace, built on the site of several previous palaces, was commissioned by Bishop Charles Este in 1743 to the design of Richard Cassel. Este's premature death in 1745 and Cassel's in 1750 led to the Palace being completed by the Waterford architect-builder 'Honest' John Roberts, who built so many of Waterford's fine buildings in the 1700s.
Este's letter to Archbishop Bolton of Cashel requesting permission to build a new palace is on display in the Bishop's Palace near a fine portrait of him. Este writes that the existing palace is in 'so ruinous a condition that part of it has fallen down ... and what is left is so small and dangerous to live in' that he had to hire another house to live in. He specifies the dimensions and materials he intends to use.
The Palace is a fine Palladian building faced on both sides in Leinster limestone. The two main facades are quite different: one having seven bays – the central bay having an more elaborate window treatment and a Gibbsian doorway; the other facade has eight bays with a more elaborate entrance and shallow pediment with blank niches. The medieval city wall was lowered on the Garden/ the Mall side of the building to make a 'Great Terrace' and gardens as befitting a gentleman's elegant townhouse in the 18th century.
The Palace functioned as the residence of the Anglican bishops of Waterford from 1743 to 1919, becoming then the boarding school of the Bishop Foy School until 1967 when it was acquired by Waterford City Council for offices until 2010.
Launched in June 2019, the exciting new 4D Masterpieces in Glass experience, which traces the history of glass making in the city from the Penrose family in the 1700s to modern day is now included in the guided tour of the palace.